The Oakland County Executive’s Elite 40 under 40 Class of 2017 has been announced! An esteemed panel of judges have reviewed nearly 400 applicants and nominations to find 40 young professionals and leaders, living or working in Oakland County, who have achieved excellence in their field and contribute to the betterment of the community.
Among the Elite 40, three individuals have been given the highest scores. The 2017 winner is decided by a public vote. Meet the three finalists:
Richard J. Chalmers, D.O., 36, Director of Family Medicine Residency, McLaren Macomb Hospital
Chalmers lives in Rochester Hills and is a graduate of the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine. He began his family practice in 2010 with the McLaren Medical Group and was named director of the family medicine residence program at McLaren Macomb Hospital in 2015. He is an assistant clinical professor at the MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine. He is director of the hospital’s Medical Outreach Clinic, which treats uninsured patients at no cost. Chalmers has been to Guatemala three times as part of a team of doctors, nurses and volunteers through DOCARE International, providing care to more than 3,000 patients. He volunteers to educate underprivileged high school students interested in medicine. “It is an honor to be allowed to take care of a patient and I find it very fulfilling to train medical students and resident physicians to do the same,” he said. Chalmers is married and has two sons.
Carrie Schochet, 37, CEO/Founder, Purple Squirrel Advisors
Schochet is a Rochester Hills resident who heads a Troy-based boutique executive search firm that connects unique C-level and senior executives with leadership positions in finance, accounting, human resources, operations, sales and marketing. She is also founder of CFO Next, a group she launched in 2013 when she discovered a lack of resources and networking opportunities for transitioning or unemployed senior financial executives. The group placed 60 people into new career opportunities in the first two years and assisting another 20. She is a passionate philanthropist, raising funds for a number of non-profits, including ALS research, the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and Power Company Kids Club. In 2016, she co-founded 100 Businesses Who Care to connect executives who want to make an impact in metropolitan Detroit. The group is set to give a $50,000 donation to a local non-profit twice a year starting in 2017. Schochet is married and has three children.
Brooke Wilson Vitale, 29, owner, Love & Buttercream LLC
Vitale of Royal Oak is the force behind Love & Buttercream, a Royal Oak-based specialty bakery she opened in 2012 after turning a hobby into her passion. She began perfecting recipes in her parent’s lower level kitchen and selling the results at farmer’s markets. Her from-scratch recipes meant business. The bakery’s cookies were named HOUR Detroit’s “Best Cookie” in 2014, 2015 and 2016. Love & Buttercream was also named Eater’s “Top 5 Bakeries in Metro Detroit.” The bakery, which has a location in Birmingham, provided wedding cakes and desserts for 400 couples in 2016 and is the exclusive provider for wedding cakes for the Infinity and Ovation Yacht Charters on the Detroit River. Vitale, who is a Michigan State graduate, has provided baked confections for various charitable events, including a 1,000 cookie display to benefit children with cancer and providing cakes for Celebration of Life parties for seriously ill children.
Here is a full list of 2017 Oakland County Executive’s Elite 40 Under 40 class members:
- Hallie Armstrong, 36, Senior Naturopathic Doctor, Beaumont Health
- Matthew Baumgarten, 32, Berkley City Manager
- Andrea Carollo, 37, Realtor, Max Broock Realtors
- Richard J. Chalmers, 36, Director of Family Medicine Residency, McLaren Macomb Hospital
- Alicia Chandler, 37, General Counsel – Continuing Care, Trinity Health
- Nathan Clinton-Barnett, 32, Vice President of Clinical Services, Safe Balance LLC
- Alex Delavan, 34, Director of Sponsored Programs, Oakland University
- David DeLind, 30, Principal Marketing Specialist, DTE Energy
- Derek Dickow, 37, Founder, Steward Media
- Matt Einheuser, 31, Watershed Ecologist, Clinton River Watershed Council
- Joanne Forbes, 34, Department Chair of Art, Design/Humanities, Oakland Community College
- Sean Forbes, 34, Co-Founder, DPAN.TV The Sign Language Channel
- Kristin Griffith, 30, 2nd Grade Teacher & Elementary Technology Educator, Auburn Hills Christian School
- Anthony Grupido, 21, CEO, Handsleight LLC
- Sherikia Hawkins, 35, City Clerk, City of Pontiac
- Michael Hohf, 31, Sr. Vice President & Financial Advisor, Advance Capital Management
- Adam Jahnke, 33, Principal and Co-Founder, Vault Equity Partners
- Yasser Khan, 37, Executive Vice President & Chief Sales Officer, IBM Miraclesoft
- Jessica Knapik, 38, Program Analyst, Walsh College
- Anjan Kumar, 38, Assistant Director of Medical ICU, Pulmonary & Critical Care Associates – St. John Hospital & Medical Center
- Andrew Kurecka, 29, Manager of Outcomes Research, MedNetOne Health Solutions
- Samantha Mariuz, 25, Director of Authorities, City of Auburn Hills
- Sam Marzban, 34, Detective Sergeant, Oakland County Sheriff’s Office
- Tylar Masters, 37, President, Tylar & Company Dustin McClellan, 26, Pontiac Director, The Power Company Kids Club
- Maureen McGinnis, 38, Judge, 52-4 District Court
- Shaun Moore, 38, Director of e-Learning, Oakland University
- Tany Nagy, 37, Owner, Pulse Design Studio
- Jeena Patel, 36, Partner, Warner Norcross & Judd LLP
- Emily Paula, 26, Human Resources Business Partner, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
- Katya Pruett, 37, Manager Public Relations and Communications, BorgWarner Inc.
- Katheryn Rohrhoff, 34, Staff Nurse, Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital
- Carrie Schochet, 37, CEO/Founder, Purple Squirrel Advisors
- Pratheep Sevanthinathan, 36, Owner, Seva Law Firm
- Kayla Smith, Executive Director, 26, Hazel Park Promise Zone Authority
- David Tessler, 34, VP & Co-Owner, Rain Marketing Inc.
- Leyanna Torres, 32, Principal Product Engineer NAOSS Packaging Manager, ZF TRW
- Kathryn Tuck, 37, Director of Foundation Giving, Leader Dogs for the Blind
- Brooke Wilson Vitale, 29, Owner, Love & Buttercream LLC
- Danielle Zuccaro, 34, Director Human Resources, Common Ground