Date: April 23, 2019
Location: StartupNation’s Studio, Birmingham, MI
Derek was a recent guest on StartupNation’s podcast hosted by Co-founder and CEO Jeff Sloan. The interview highlights Derek’s entrepreneurial background and his strategy in networking which adds value to nonprofits, organizations, and political leaders. For the full podcast click here!
Derek Dickow is the founder of Steward Media, a PR firm he started in 2010 to leverage his talents in helping others in order to add value to nonprofits. He is known as a power connector to organizations and community leaders throughout southeast Michigan, which led to the natural development of his second business.
As a networking guru, Derek’s personal grand focuses on the art of networking and the power of personal connections. He teaches a masterclass called “The Art of Networking,” is a keynote speaker and helps aspiring entrepreneurs and business leaders to organize their goals and create innovative ideas.
During the show, Derek discusses:
- How to optimize networking opportunities in order to realize your goals and grow your business
- How he created a business around opportunity
- The power of mentorship and how it inspired him to start a business
- The challenges he faced when starting his business and how he overcame them
- How to network efficiently and make a valuable connection in 5 minutes or less
- The importance of creating personal, face-to-face interactions (rather than social media connections)
- How to start a business around subject matter expertise
- His three-part networking technique (before, during and after an event)
- The importance of building relationships in order to gain trust in customers